[Xen-devel] will this clever plan work?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] will this clever plan work?
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:29:42 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:31:43 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
allow me to play someone with a fractional clue for the moment.

What I want is a Gentoo based system that can run multiple virtual instances (maybe as many as 10 or 20) of a stock application configuration.

My fantasy is that I will be able to build a single disk image for all of the basic OS and application to be shared between multiple virtual machines. Update that single core image using Gentoo magic and be able to have separate partitions holding my application data.

in the test case, I'm running with a couple of SCSI disks for the OS and a raid 1 (79 GB real storage) for holding all the virtual system "disk images".

real? Fantasy? Roll up my sleeves and work really really hard, documenting as I go to make somebody else's life easier?

don't worry about disappointing me. I have already been disappointed with EVMS but only enough to make me go away for six months. ;-)

thank you for whatever information you give me.

---eric