Re: [Xen-devel] network access disappears in master on /etc/init.d/xend

To: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] network access disappears in master on /etc/init.d/xend start
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:05:55 +0000
Cc: Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:14:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 01:39:09PM +0000, Christian Limpach wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 11:59:47AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> > wrote:
> > > ifconfig shows that eth0 has a network address, that xen-br0 does not,
> > > that lo does.
> >
> > Have you installed the iproute package, which provides the ip command
> > which we use to transfer the network addresses from eth0 to xen-br0?
>
>  okay, now yes i have - and the same issue is present:
>
>  bring up /etc/init.d/xend and networking disappears from the
>  xen "master" - xenU.

Have you ipv6 addresses on your eth0 interface before running
'xend start' ? The default /etc/xen/scripts/network script stuffs
this case up.

You can always edit the above script to suit your needs.

Editing a 'bash -x' in the first line shoul dgive you some useful
debug output.

>  the scenario that i really want is for the xen network segment
>  to be almost completely isolated - traffic out but no traffic in.
>  i.e. for the guests to be on their own local network and with NAT or
>  some other form of routing allowing them to make outgoing connections.
>
>  does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be achieved,
>  without disrupting the xen master's ability to send and receive network
>  traffic?

iptables and ebtables in dom0 will both work fine and can be used
to install arbitrary NAT or firewall rules to control when
traffic guests can send/receive. You may decide its easier to
route rather than bridge traffic.

Having an iptables package which supports --physdev makes the
filter rules simpler.

Ian