[Xen-devel] network access disappears in master on /etc/init.d/xend star

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] network access disappears in master on /etc/init.d/xend start
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:59:47 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:58:09 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

i have made zero changes to the setup of the xend 2.0 code - everything
is as-is compiled from source off the sf.net site.

i ping 192.168.0.4 before starting /etc/init.d/xend, it hunky-dory.

i start xend: ping stops working as does everything else.

if i ping ftp.uk.debian.org, i get:

        "eth0: received packet with  own address as source address"

[including there being two spaces between with and own.]

yes, bridge is installed (no, i couldn't find any debian
packages for xen 2.0 so yes, i had to manually apt-get install
bridge.  sorry, it's a debian thing: sometimes i can't quite
get my head round not having automatic dependency installs
for from-source builds :)

ifconfig shows that eth0 has a network address, that xen-br0 does not,
that lo does.

when i start a guest OS, that OS cannot ping the outside world.

ifconfig shows that eth0 has a network address, that xen-br0 does not,
that lo does.

if i then run dhclient3, such that xen-br0 is allocated an IP address,
then YES, sometimes i can get external access from the guest OS
(and sometimes the client becomes inaccessible, probably because the
 network is taken down and back up).

the xen "master" OS still has no network access.

help?

all my experiences with this bridging thing (previously i tried
setting up tinc) have proved fruitless or demonstrated that something
was not quite right and beyond my ability to fix.

other than the networking weirdness i am genuinely impressed with xen,
esp. as i'm running an selinux kernel.

l.