Re: [Xen-devel] Copy-on-write memory to allow many more xenU domains per

To: Peri Hankey <mpah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Copy-on-write memory to allow many more xenU domains per machine
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:21:31 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:56:40 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello
>
> Some time ago Michael Vrable talked about copy-on-write memory to enable
> large numbers of nearly identical machines to run on the same physical
> hardware. Is this a feasible proposition? I asked a few days ago in the
> original thread, but no-one seems to have noticed. It seems to me that
> it would be a very significant feature to offer.

It's useful for honeypots and other situations where you want
very large numbers of VMs, but isn't generally a huge win.

When I was doing the live migration work I recorded fingerprints
of all VM pages that were on several systems, and didn't find a
whole lot of commonality between VMs. CoW sharing of memory is on
the list of features we'd like to add to Xen, but implementing
the shared buffer cache is rather higher on the todo list.

Ian