Re: [Xen-devel] Problems with loopback and sda1

To: Xen Virtual Machine Monitor <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Problems with loopback and sda1
From: Rune Johan Andresen <runejoha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:29:26 +0200
Cc: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:39:06 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The sda2 worked out fine! I did not know that you can specify the file
directly. This is good news tough:-)

Thank you!

Cheers,
Rune

On Oct 11, 2004, at 4:51 PM, Mark A. Williamson wrote:

With:
disk = [ 'phy:loop0,xda1,w', 'phy:sda1,sda1,r' ]
root = "/dev/xda1 ro"

I get error msg:
error begin

VFS: Cannot open root device "xda1" or unknown-block(2,0)
   Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

The xda devices got removed. Any sd* or hd* device node should work instead
though.

Did you realise you can now specify file:/path/to/file as the source device
instead of running losetup manually and using phy:loop0?

HTH,
Mark

error end

Does Xen deny use of anything else than logical sda1 for HD? When my
physical HD is sda1, how can I use another logical drive for my
loopback?

To save space I want to read-only mount my pysical HD from the
loopbacks.
(If I try to mount sda1 now, I mount the loopback, not the pysical HD)

Cheers,
Rune

This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more