Re: [Xen-devel] Automation scripts

To: Peri Hankey <mpah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Automation scripts
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:26:44 +0100
Cc: Michael Vrable <mvrable@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:42:31 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> My experience (LVM2.2.00.24 - Mandrake 10.0 - 2.6.8.1-xen0) has been
> that when lvm2 runs out of memory (particularly when creating a new
> snapshot of an original that already has other snaphots against it) the
> whole lvm system with any xenU domains based on it becomes unusable
> until the xen0 system is rebooted. Has lvm2 behaved better for you in
> that kind of circumstance?

I haven't really used multiple snapshots enough to experience
this. Do you really mean that you're running out of memory, or
that the volume for holding the snapshot deltas is filling up?

I presume LVM2 just stores a cache of the remapped extents table
in memory, so I'm surprised that there's a significant memory
overhead. Maybe its not really that smart.

Either way, it might be interesting to see the output of
/proc/slabinfo when its low on memory.

Ian