Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6

To: bjoern.sessler@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:25:05 +0100
Cc: Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:28:00 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Am Donnerstag, 5. August 2004 10:03 schrieb Christian Limpach:
> > On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:52:17AM +0000, Björn Sessler wrote:
> > > i noticed that when 2.6-xenU is running the cpu-time in xm list is
> > > steadily rising, while the 2.4-xenU is nearly keeping the time when it's
> > > started and not used. but checkin' the 2.6 with top it shows idle = 100%
> > > like expected??? tell me if you need some logs or further information
> >
> > This should be fixed since changes I made on 2004-07-20 (use
> > HYERVISOR_block in the idle loop).  Are you using a recent 2.6.7-xenU
> > kernel?
>
> happened with checkouts from the last days (one week i think), i nearly
> checkout every day, last was this morning about 10:00 i think. but i don't
> think i'm using previous build components because i downloaded linux-2.6.7
> source not before 25th of June... Tested on gentoo with same nfs-root as for
> the 2.4xenU system (cloned from my xen0-system). i noticed the
> XM_MODULES-Error now, but modules seem to be ok in /lib/modules/

Christian and I have been looking in to this.

We believe it's a bizarre 'feature' of the network Bridge code in
2.6.

Please try removing the 'brctl sethello ${bridge} 0' line
in /etc/xen/network and you should find your system runs
considerably faster!

Best,
Ian