Re: [Xen-devel] 'xm_vars' not defined error

To: Kathy Chen <kathy_ios@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 'xm_vars' not defined error
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:04:14 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:20:18 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> But when I modified the xmdefaults to create a new
> domain, some error appears, shown as following:

The error message is pants, but I think it's a duff invocation is
the root cause of your problem.

First, you no longer need '-D' infront of defining variables. I
believe variables need to come at the end of the command line.
Further, you can no longer use '-i' to define the domain's IP
address: use ip=. So:

xm create -f dom1.conf vmid=1 ip='1.2.3.4'

If you're creating a config file per VM (as the name dom1.conf
implies), then I'd be inclined just to either remove the vmid
variable from the config file (along with the xm_vars stuff), or
just hardwire it at the top of the file. You can hardwire ip
too.

The 'executable' configuration file format is really only useful
if you're using a single file to define a number of VMs.

BTW: 'vm1.conf' might be a better name for your config file: if
the domain reboots, it'll end up with a different domid (think
unix PID). 'domid' is purely an internal convention between xen
and xend -- we shouldn't be exposing users to this. Indeed, we
are thinking of changing the tools so that they're never exposed
to users: domains would be manipulated by their user configured
name (which must be unique). If anyone has any strong views on
this, shout up!

Best,
Ian