Re: [Xen-devel] No eth0 after installation

To: Kathy Chen <kathy_ios@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] No eth0 after installation
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:40:23 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:48:57 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I just installed the latest unstable version.
> "make world" and "make install" seem both successful.
> After setting the correct boot entry and rebooting the machine, eth0 doesn't
> work.
> "ifconfig" shows only lo, and in the menu "System Settings/Network", it shows
> eth0 is inactive. Clicking "Activate" results in an error saying that eth0 is
> not present.

Sounds like the driver for your ethernet card isn't in the
standard domain 0 build.

edit install/boot/config-2.4.26-xen0 and run 'make world' 'make
install' again. e.g. if you had an SK98 card change:

# CONFIG_SK98LIN is not set

to:

CONFIG_SK98LIN=y

[once you find your way around the build system there's a much
quicker way to do this, but I won't complicate matters]

> Another thing is that on my other machine, although "make world" and "make
> install" are both successful, command 'xend' doesn't work. Error message says
> --Traceback (most recent call last):
> --  File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 23, in ?
> --    from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
> --  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py",
> --line 18, in ?
> --    from twisted.internet import pollreactor
> --ImportError: No module named twisted.internet
> I seached the related messages in the mailing list, but they don't help.
>
> Any suggestions?

You need to install Twisted version 1.3.0. (earlier versions
don't work).

If there's no suitable package you can download for your distro,
you can install from source with 'make install-twisted'

Ian