[Xen-devel] Re: system lockup when starting secondary domains

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: system lockup when starting secondary domains
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:35:15 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:37:16 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Good news:
> I can now mount LUNs over iSCSI using the Adaptec HW initiator running
> Adaptec's driver in DOM0.
>
> The bad news is that when I try to export the LUN to another domain, the
> machine stops responding. I've attached the kernel config for both dom0
> and the non-privileged domains as well as the configuration file I'm
> using.
>
> Please let me know of anything I can do to help track this down.
>

> Trivia:
> DOM0 stops responding to ping after this. The second domain will start
> responding to ping at some point - but ssh does not appear to be
> starting.
>
> The LUN contains the same contents as the local IDE drive except for
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/fstab.

When you create a new domain, it's virtual interface gets bridged to
eth0. Unfortunately this means that eth0 loses IP abilities.

The fix for now is to run a script something like the following before
creating the first domain:
 /sbin/ifconfig nbe-br 128.232.38.20 netmask 255.255.240.0 up
 /usr/sbin/brctl addif nbe-br eth0
 /sbin/ip r d 128.232.32.0/20 dev eth0
 /sbin/ip r a 128.232.32.0/20 dev nbe-br
 /sbin/ip r d default via 128.232.32.1 dev eth0
 /sbin/ip r a default via 128.232.32.1 dev nbe-br

i.e., attach your IP/netmask to device nbe-br. Also, any routes that
reference eth0 should be replaced with one that refers to nbe-br.

 -- Keir