RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ?

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ?
From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:47:04 +0200
Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:49:27 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Try the following two Xen images:
>  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~kaf24/xen-normal.gz
>  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~kaf24/xen-loop.gz
>
> These files are replacements for your current xen.gz -- they should be
> copied on top of it.

Hi Keir and Ian.

Thank you both for the rapid answers. I'll give the above images a spin
tonight.

> /sbin/grub isn't the bootloader itself. The main bootloader file is
> /boot/grub/stage2.

Ah yes. I learned that too yesterday when running "setup (hd0,0)" in
grub. I tried to copy both /sbin/grub and /usr/boot/stage2 from the demo
CD and re-install grub in the MBR (issuing "root (hd0,0)" and "setup
(hd0,0)" within grub) but that did not seem to make a difference.
Neither behavior nor the load address of xenolinux.gz was changed.

I'll read up on what grub does, so I am sure that I am installing the
correct MBR images.

> > Which Linux distro have you used to run Xen on top of VMware ? The
demo
> > CD looks debianish, so is Debian Woody a fair guess ?
>
> It's Red Hat -- probably version 9 (cat /etc/redhat-release).

Well - should work then. I'll try a Debian Woody VM as well, just to
see.

Cheers

-- Jan