[Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ?

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ?
From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:29:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 08 May 2004 18:32:52 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

Weird as I am, I am trying to run Xen in VMware. Though it might sound
like I am just testing the  limits of VM-on-VM technology, it would be
nice to try out Xen without having to lay my hands on some extra piece
of hardware. And since the Xen 1.2 demo CD iso image boots without
problems in VMware workstation (at least in 4.0.1 build 5289), I thought
"Hey, let's install it on top of a RedHat VM".

So I made a minimal RedHat 9 on a virtual SCSI disk. Copied xen.gz and
xenolinux.gz from the demo CD to /boot. Added this to grub's menu.lst:

title Xen
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=64000 watchdog noreboot ignorebiostables
        module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0

This quick-install worked for me on a physical machine with Xen 1.1. But
this one fails with a kernel stack fault and never even gets to
uncompressing the kernel. VMware notifies me of a "Virtual machine
kernel stack fault (hardware reset). The virtual machine just suffered a
stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer this would amount to a
reset of the  processor."

Just for the heck of it, I installed RedHat again, but this time on a
virtual IDE disk and pointed root to /dev/hda2 in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Same thing.

This is what I see when the boot process starts:

Starting up Red Hat:
________________
  Booting 'Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)'

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x11098a]
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
   [Linux-initrd @ 0x7ebb000, 0x249b1 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
________________
...and then it boots normally

Starting up Xen:
________________
  Booting 'Xen'

root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=64000 watchdog noreboot ignorebiostables
   [Multiboot-elf, <0x100000:0x110e08:0x0>, <0x212000:0x1c3b8:0x1c548>,
shtab=0x24b258,  entry=0x100000]
module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/hda2 ro console=tty0
   [Multiboot-module @ 0x24c000, 0x1918cc bytes]
Wham! Kernel stack fault.

When booting the Xen demo 1.2 CD, xenolinux.gz says [Multiboot-module @
0x26d000, 0x1918cc bytes] looking like it's location in memory is
different. Don't know if that is significant ?

I guess this is not (and probably should not be :-)) supported, but has
anyone made this work ?

Cheers

-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark