Re: [Xen-devel] issues getting more than 16M ram to be used without oops

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] issues getting more than 16M ram to be used without oopsing. 1.2 and 1.3-unstable
From: Adam Heath <doogie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:37:55 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Brian Wolfe <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:36:10 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Keir Fraser wrote:

> > > Maybe Xen pokes around in different ways/areas than the linux kernel did
> > > and has found some bad ram and/or APIC  flaw that I just never ran into
> > > with Linux by sheer chance.
> >
> > Okay, I'll take a look at what changes there have been to IO-APIC and
> > ACPI code up to Linux 2.4.25 -- certainly the most recent 2.4 kernel
> > matches your IO-APIC version and doesn't print the 'unexpected
> > IO-APIC' message.
> >
> > Perhaps there is some 'quirk' fix that we are missing -- VIA boards
> > usually need a few of those (the general opinion of VIA boards among
> > Linux kernel developers is pretty low, I think :-).
>
> I've pushed updates from latest Linux 2.4 into Xen. If you don't want
> to download the source repository and build it yourself, suitable Xen
> and Xenolinux images are available here:
>  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~kaf24/xen.gz
>  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~kaf24/xenolinux.gz

If this does fix it for Brian(who I know in real life, he's a local nut here
in Dallas), then I'd like this as a regular patch.  I can't use bitkeeper, as
I am interested in doing revision control software work(have done a little in
the past, and want to do more in the future), and bk's license keeps me from
doing this.