Re: [Xen-devel] issues getting more than 16M ram to be used without oops

To: "Brian Wolfe" <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] issues getting more than 16M ram to be used without oopsing. 1.2 and 1.3-unstable
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 09:05:05 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 09:07:34 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Now, this machine has been used for aprox 5 months now without any
> glitches or oopses. So i'm 99.9999% certain that the hardware is good.
>
> I'm using an NFS root since the ide is only in pio mode (and to eliminate
> it's use toher than to boot the kernels).
>
> Any insights?
>
> If necessary for debuging, I can provide access to the hardware via serial
> console. :)
>
> Thanks for any help yall can give!

The crashes look quite random -- I don't think this is a bug in the
core of Xen. The two most likely possibilities are that you have duff
memory or that a misconfigured device is trashing memory. I definitely
wouldn't discount the former, even though native x86 Linux has been
running okay -- crashes can be very sensitive to memory layout.

It might be worth running a few rounds of memtest on the machine, or
swapping the memory, or trying to boot Xen on another identical box.

If that doesn't cure it then try swapping out or disabling
hardware. For example, boot off local disc and disable networking
('ifname=dummy'). Since the cause is most likely hardware-related, the
best approach is to isolate the problem hardware.

 -- Keir

PS. If you build your own Xen/Xenolinux then keep the build trees
around (or at least, for Xenolinux, the 'vmlinux' file). I can't find
suitable image files for the tarballs on the Xen website, and without
them it is very difficult to determine anything from crash dumps.