Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic while compiling kernel

To: "Tvrtko A. Uršulin" <tvrtko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic while compiling kernel
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:26:25 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:30:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thursday 12 February 2004 10:44, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > Whoops. I forgot that in Xen 1.2, to get useful memory debugging you
> > will need to edit common/memory.c and enable MEM_LOG() (change '#if 0'
> > to '#if 1').
>
> There were two compilation issues in that file after enablig that, I
> quick-fixed id by adding two dummy parameteres (and formats) to the two
> offending lines. Those were ones in form of MSG_LOG("text and no parms");
>
> > I'll try to find some time to do a bit of testing myself today.
>
> If it saves you some testing time here is the log with MSG_LOG turned on,
> runlevel editor did the trick in DOM0 (didn't start other domain this time).

Okay, that could be useful.

Perhaps you could add the follwoing (I assume you knwo a bit of C):
 1. Extend the "Pfn already pinned" message to include every field in
 the page structure (e.g., page->flags, page->type_count, and so on).

 2. At the start of the switch case MMUEXT_PIN_L2_TABLE, add
    printk(" ********* L2 pin pfn == %08lx\n", pfn);

 3. At teh start o fthe switch case MMUEXT_UNPIN_TABLE, add
    if ( (page->flags & PG_type_mask) == PGT_l2_page_table )
      printk(" ********* L2 unpin pfn == %08lx\n", pfn);

This should let us see whether this is a Xenolinux or a Xen problem.

 -- Keir