[Xen-devel] Some general questions about Xen development

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Some general questions about Xen development
From: Guillaume Thouvenin <guillaume.thouvenin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:00:05 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:01:16 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I still have some small questions

1) With the experiment of the developers of Xen, is it possible to evaluate the
cost of porting an existing linux driver under Xen. I quickly look network
driver like 3c59x and it seems that it is possible to use the main part of the
original file. Is it nearly the same for other drivers or is it really specific
to each one?

2) I read that some other tools use a type II VMM which seems to be a
"(micro|nano)kernel" with an hosted OS. The goal is to used some fonctions of
the hosted OS like the drivers. It allows to run native linux drivers.
I saw in the TODO list that you would like to move the network and the block
device drivers out of Xen. Do you already have an idea about the impact of
porting a driver from Linux to Xen? In fact, a problem to use Xen (for me) is if
we must rewrite many drivers for Xen...

3) You (Ian I think) told me that there is some people who are interested to
port Xen on IA64 (I think it was people from HP). Do you have some news
concerning this port? I ask that because I am also interested to contribute to
this development so if there is some people working on that it could be nice to
work together.Otherwise I will start the project myself :)

Thanks
Guillaume