Re: [Xen-devel] Please help on Xen installation

To: Ning Wu <ningwu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Please help on Xen installation
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:17:49 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:19:10 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In any case, I am eager to try so I selected my home pc as a testbed to
> install Xen again. It's
> a normal PC running Redhat 9. After I put the two gzip files into /boot
> and configured GRUB, everything seemed good. I was really happy to see it
> actually booted (halfway though). Then shortly, it rebooted automatically.
>
> The screen scrolled too fast. I only saw the last a few lines are
> something like:
> Guest Operating System blah blah
> blah blah
>
> So it seems the xenolinux kernel had some conflicts with my pc. Probably
> one of the device driver.

Looking at dmesg, I think it's possible that you misconfigured
domain-0's command line. There are no obvious device problems there.

> Then machine rebooted. Is there a way to stop the screen or see a log
> somewhere?

Unfortunately our usual debugging strategy is to collect console
output from the serial line. We automatically reboot the machine on an
error because it gets really annoying having to manually reset a
remote machine :-)

What I can do is fix xen 1.0 so that it hangs, rather than rebooting,
if you don't configure the serial line (the serial line is only
configured if you specify 'ser_baud=xxx' on Xen's command line).

Would you like me to post you a patch, or make a new binary available
for you to download?

 Regards,
 Keir