xen-cim

RE: [Xen-cim] RecordedSettings questions

To: "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Daniel Hiltgen" <dhiltgen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-cim] RecordedSettings questions
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:20:18 -0700
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:20:32 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>There needs to be an instantiation of 'recorded'
>CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData instances to accompany the 'current'
>ones we have in place.  These recorded instances will get their data
>from the domain conf file via the private function get_defined_domain()
>which is in xm.c.

Correct. In cases where they can differ, the 'current' and 'recorded' setting values will have to be mined from where ever the run-time vs original config settings are obtained from.

>What is the best approach in terms of naming conventions?  Should we
>rename e.g. Xen_DiskSettingData to Xen_DiskSettingDataCurrent and then
>have a Xen_DiskSettingDataRecorded class as well?  And then, what is the
>best name for the connector class I suggested before?
>XenDiskSettingDataCurrentRecorded ?  Not sure here.

I think having separate subclasses for both recorded and current settings will lead to a class/provider explosion. Having one separate subclass (and associated provider) for *all* the disk settings - both recorded and current - for all the VMs seems to make the most sense. In this case, enumerating Xen_DiskSettingData would return both the recorded and current settings for each disk for each DomU.

There will now be two Xen_DiskElementSettingData associations from each Xen_Disk, one to the current and one to the recorded (appropriately tagged by IsCurrent). And a new, say, Xen_DiskRecordedSetting between these two Xen_DiskSettingData's.

>Following along Gareth's and Daniel's suggestion, there needs to be an
>IsCurrent=1 flag set in the ElementSettingData association for the
>current instance, and IsCurrent=0 for the recorded one.
>
>Does this sound correct?

Correct. Note - the new CIM_ElementSettingData.mof also includes an IsActive property, but I dont actually see that we have a CR open for this. Daniel - did this fall thru the cracks or did we decide to drop adding IsActive and the mof just need updating to remove it? I cant remember which...

- Gareth

Dr. Gareth S. Bestor
IBM Linux Technology Center
M/S DES2-01
15300 SW Koll Parkway, Beaverton, OR 97006
503-578-3186, T/L 775-3186, Fax 503-578-3186

Inactive hide details for "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>"Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>

          "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          07/19/06 02:34 PM

"Daniel Hiltgen" <dhiltgen@xxxxxxxxxx>, Gareth S Bestor/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS

cc

Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject

RE: [Xen-cim] RecordedSettings questions

Just to make sure I understand:

There needs to be an instantiation of 'recorded'
CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData instances to accompany the 'current'
ones we have in place.  These recorded instances will get their data
from the domain conf file via the private function get_defined_domain()
which is in xm.c.

What is the best approach in terms of naming conventions?  Should we
rename e.g. Xen_DiskSettingData to Xen_DiskSettingDataCurrent and then
have a Xen_DiskSettingDataRecorded class as well?  And then, what is the
best name for the connector class I suggested before?
XenDiskSettingDataCurrentRecorded ?  Not sure here.

Following along Gareth's and Daniel's suggestion, there needs to be an
IsCurrent=1 flag set in the ElementSettingData association for the
current instance, and IsCurrent=0 for the recorded one.

Does this sound correct?

Luke