xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] RecordedSettings questions

To: "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] RecordedSettings questions
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:21:08 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:21:29 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Szymanski, Lukasz K wrote:

Hello -

I have been thinking about the whole RecordedSetting approach and came up with the following. I think there should be 4 additional associations: XenDiskSettingRecordedSetting, XenNetworkPortRecordedSetting, XenMemoryRecordedSetting, and XenComputerSystemRecordedSetting.

This is what I believe is the mof file for XenDiskSettingRecordedSetting

// *******************************************************************
// Associations
// *******************************************************************

// ==================================================================
// Xen_DiskSettingDataRecodedSetting
// ==================================================================
[Association,
 Provider ("cmpi:Xen_DiskSettingDataRecodedSetting"),
 Description (
        "A class derived from CIM_RecordedSettings to represent "
"the association of a current and/or recorded Xen_Disk setting of "
        "a virtualized disk device in a Xen domain.

class Xen_DiskSettingDataRecodedSetting : CIM_RecordedSetting
{
   [Override("CurrentSetting")]
   Xen_DiskSettingData REF CurrentSetting;

   [Override("RecordedSetting")]
   Xen_DiskSettingData REF RecordedSetting;
};

I think the description should be something like "A class derived from CIM_RecordedSetting which reflects the relationship between the recorded and current settings data for a virtualized disk device in a Xen domain." This class provides the association between recorded and current settings data objects.

I believe the accompanying C file would be similar to the Xen_HostedDisk.c file.

This same pattern could be applied to the other Xen_*RecordedSetting files.

Jim mentioned something on the call about the shim having to be tweaked so it exposes the RecordedSetting stuff. Can you point me to where that is?

xm.c contains the private function get_defined_domain() which returns an xm_config structure populated with settings found in the domain conf file. It could be used (perhaps with some refactoring of the code) as a source for recorded settings.

What are your thoughts here?  What else needs to be done?

Your approach seems fine. However, keep in mind that we have not yet implemented the actual instantiation of 'recorded' CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData instances. At this time we are only producing the 'current' instances. So I think the first step would be to produce the recorded settings, followed by implementing your suggested associations to tie the two together.

Jim