Re: [Xen-users] Best way to get Xen into Ubuntu Natty/64bit

To: Robert Zaleski <rlzaleski@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Best way to get Xen into Ubuntu Natty/64bit
From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:00:57 +0100
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 06:04:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FILE UNDER: Why people consider using Xen complicated.

In the second install run now ;)
I boot off a 2GB industrial flash drive. First time the installer just
had to create a swap space on that.
The box has 96GB ram, but the installer loves a swap space, and since
it's so much ram, lets use 1.99GB for swap and the rest for the OS
install.

This would be easier if the chipsets SATA controller with those large
SATA drives would be detected, but right now I'm down to 2GB...

That aside, the best looking and fastest installer I have seen in
ages. Makes Ubuntu and RHEL installers look from the stone ages.

And holy hell, they use *kexec* to skip the post-install reboot. This mighty.

If there was just some global button to disable all the automagic.
Especially when it's so broken:

"trying to download release notes... failed"
"select cancel to skip all stuff that needs internet access"... cancel!
"now downloading updates"

30 minutes later i'm right in dependency hell because they have a
circular dependency for python.
python depends on python(abi) which would be installed with python and
I feel somewhere between just dding my root device and running away.
The "solution" would apparently be to remove the "minimal install
patterns" and with gods grace finally installing CUPS plus a few dozen
more desktop pkgs. No system can live without CUPS ever. Or cyrus, or
samba. I wonder if I'm allowed to uninstall those later.

After this I was actually able to installl Xen.
Including SDL and XORG and GNOME LIBS after I selected "no, don't
install the GUI bits"

SUSE might in some fashion be the best, well-rounded smarted Linux
distro around. It might even have working Xen. And it looks like it
does.
But it doesn't support my disk controllers  and it makes my head hurt
so much. :/

This story ends with a running xenstored, unmounted xenstore
mountpoint and xl / xm not working.

OpenSuse + headless xen server? Not so much.