Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

To: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480
From: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 23:51:17 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 14:53:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 6 November 2011 23:21, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, I mean there may be a difference between how linux and windows look at the
> emulated devices qemu-dm provides - in particular, they may honor or ignore
> some of the config file options, like eg: videoram=.
OK

> Umm - videoram and stdvga are hvm config file options. If the CentOS is pv,
> it's ignoring them.
Yes, you are right. I made a mistake actually. The max resolution in that domU
is still 800x600 and, as you said, those options are ignored.

> Umm - if you are using kvm's qemu, I believe you are by definition doing an
> hvm install - qemu is an emulator.
I don't use the package qemu-kvm, but qemu. Maybe there is no great difference
but the package I've installed is qemu, and I use it to setup PV
guest, according
to this guide:
http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Using_QEMU_Disk_Images_for_Xen_DomainU_Systems

> Xen's qemu-dm is modified to provide pv
> drivers depending on the -M option. Look at a '/bin/ps a -A|grep qemu'. For
> hvm, it will say '-M xenfv', and for pv it will say '-M xenpv'.
OK

> The only other thing I can think of - in the opensuse domu's
> /boot/grub/memu.lst, on the 'kernel' line, make sure you are specifying the
> vga= parm. With me, vga=0x31a gives me 1280x1024. Or, you could specify
> vga=ask, and run thru the possibilities.
vga=0x31 didn't work for me. It says it is not available. But I've
selected 318 and
the boot screen was bigger than before. Anyway, when the XDM started,
the resolution
come back to 800x600.

Very strange!

--