Re: [Xen-users] small cluster storage configuration?

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] small cluster storage configuration?
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:32:14 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 06:33:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Iustin,

Iustin Pop wrote:
Have you tried Ganeti (http://code.google.com/p/ganeti)? It uses DRBD
under the hood but it manages moving instances around without you having
to reconfigure instances. I think it matches what you're looking for,
and we support clusters from 1 physical machine up to hundreds.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the authors.

I've experimented with Ganeti a couple of times, but not for about 6 months (and I know it's been evolving quickly). I was really impressed with Ganeti as a tool for managing lots of VMs - but it seemed to be lacking when it comes to high-availability capabilities. In particular:

Last time I looked, there was some documentation and list discussion that made explicit statements that Ganeti is NOT a high-availability solution - migration and failover require manual intervention, or customization/extension by a user. When I realized that some of the things that one might do with Pacemaker would interact with some of Ganeti's control wiring, I decided that I really didn't want to wrestle with that level of complexity (at least not when there were easier ways to do a 2-node configuration). A quick look at the current documentation suggests this hasn't changed.

Re. DRBD: It looks like one still is limited to a primary instance, with failover to a pre-configured secondary instance - and one has to manually recreate a new secondary after a node failure. Hence my interest in some kind of cluster filesystem that provides redundancy across multiple nodes. (Sheepdog really has my attention in this regard - but it seems to only work with KVM, not Xen).

Thanks!

Miles