Re: [Xen-users] small cluster storage configuration?

To: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] small cluster storage configuration?
From: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:18:26 -0400
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 06:19:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I now have 2 new servers - each with a lot more memory, faster CPUs (and
more cores), also 4 drives each.  So I'm wondering what's my best option
for wiring the 4 machines together as a platform to run VMs on.

A few things come to mind:

- Since these two new boxes are so much better, do you really need all four systems for hosting VM's? If you can do everything on the two old systems, you can do it all on the new systems. If you just keep it to two nodes, you eliminate some complexity.

- Ever worked with GlusterFS? It'll allow you to stripe and replicate across multiple nodes.

- If I/O isn't too much of an issue, you could use one pair with DRDB as the storage node and export to the other two over NFS/etc.

- Export everything over iSCSI, use md to mirror, name everything carefully so you know which nodes you can take down based on where VM's are. Complicated, but workable. I suppose you could set this up with DRDB too.

John

--
John Madden / Sr UNIX Systems Engineer
Office of Technology / Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana

    Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand
    the concept, you should think of Free as in 'free speech,' not
    as in 'free beer.' -- Richard Stallman