Re: [Xen-users] 3.0.0 and gplpv

To: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 3.0.0 and gplpv
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:31:22 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:32:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 02:26:56PM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> Pls cc: me, as I am not subscribed.

Hello,

> I've noticed that 3.0.0 as a backend is very slow, which is to be expected
> since the drivers were stated as being unoptimized, particularly xen-netback.
> I'm getting speeds between 10-20 Mb/s with iperf and gplpv.

Something is definitely broken - even with the "unoptimized" xen-netback
in upstream Linux 3.0.0 you should get at least a gigabit per second (on a
current hardware).

> However, I've noticed that the gplpv driver in my winxp domu quits operating
> after a while. I can provoke it with iperf - it will stop operating shortly
> afterwards.
>
> Booting with /nogplpv is not an option. It took 45 min. to bring up my
> desktop, and an hour before qemu-dm stopped using 100% of one cpu on dom0.
> Iperf speeds were in the 2-5 Mb/s range. I even seem to be losing keystrokes
> (all of them).
>
> James - have you tested with 3.0.0 yet, or is it too premature?

3.0.0 should work! (It does for many).

> Using same config file on pvops 2.6.32 (myoung). everything works fine. I'm
> using xen 4.1.1 and 'xm create'. xl still has too many problems - see today's
> post on the secondary fork of the related thread 'Failure to create HVM DomU
> at Xen 4.1 ( kernel 3.0.0-5-generic) Ubuntu 11.10 (alpha 2)'

Did you check/verify eth stats? errors/drops? anything in kernel logs?

Keep in mind there are *many* non-xen related changes aswell between 2.6.32 and
3.0.0.

-- Pasi