Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen + SAN

Am 24.06.2011 um 07:52 schrieb Javier Guerra Giraldez:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Christian Motschke
> <christian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> CLVM is not a pain. You only need cLVM if you follow some rules. IO fencing,
>> pacemaker and all this complicated stuff is not really needed. Only cLVM
>> compiled with openais. You can even make snapshots in a cluster environment
>> with the latest version of LVM2. I use this since 3 years now and never lost
>> a machine.
>
> totally agree on openais. unfortunately, last time i checked, it
> wasn't always easy to install on all distros.  redhat ones are (were?)
> specially set on the old GFS ways.  in the end, it's all mostly a
> design problem; but you _do_ have to have all concepts very well
> defined.
>
> didn't know about snapshots working at last!  great news certainly.
> how recent is that? is it available out of the box on any distro? or
> do you have to compile all yourself?

I made my own packages from the latest sources for debian. Clustered snapshots
should work since january (2.0.2.84). I had some problems with it, but got it
running yesterday with the latest sources of LVM2 ;-).

>> 3: do all the LVM management on the target(s), export each LV as an
>> iSCSI LUN.  Most commercial iSCSI appliances include management on par
>> with LVM, at the very least.
>>
>> This is a pain, when you have more then 100 machines, as I have.
>
> care to expand?  i've never really used any commercial iSCSI box, just
> checked that they do comply with all checkpoints, and fooled a little
> on some control screens.  AFAICT, there's usually some (maybe
> optional, maybe expensive) global manager console that let's you
> control many boxes on the same screen.

I mean, when you add or remove a new LV (iSCSI LUN) you have to do it with a
graphical management console, set the access rights for the hosts etc. for
every LUN. It is easier and faster to use lvcreate on one host.