[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Re: VGA passthrough on unstable

To: Liwei <xieliwei@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Re: VGA passthrough on unstable
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 18:52:51 +0300
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2011 09:05:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:49:14PM +0800, Liwei wrote:
> On 24 May 2011 23:43, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Did you take a look at this patch?
> > http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-12/msg00705.html
> > It supports dynamic detection of BARs and might help you (if you're not
> > using it already).
> >
> > -- Pasi
> >

> Yes I did, but it seems that the BAR detection would only work on ATI
> based cards?

Not sure.. I haven't tried the patch myself (and I didn't read it either)..

> Come to think of it, the decision to get a Nvidia card was probably a
> mistake. Seeing how most successful configurations are using ATI
> cards, I'm thinking of getting an ATI card instead.

People have gotten Xen VGA passthru working with Nvidia cards,
so it just requires some work to figure it all out..

> In case I do, any AMD/ATI engineer can confirm if a HD 6870 or 6850 is
> workable?

We really should get the wiki page up-to-date wrt. tested adapters..
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthroughTestedAdapters

-- Pasi