Re: [Xen-users] XCP bandwidth management

To: Alexandre Bezroutchko <abb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP bandwidth management
From: "msgbox450@xxxxxxxxx" <msgbox450@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:53:59 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 May 2011 03:55:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=GoEnN9fxC72qihtdqJOUalo42wfJsuXGufq/v6BJF84=; b=SF8eBym/XVmj4Rb9Av32gH0pQ89WOf7I5oUb4g/TCpuWyiDZmaY8r59dfKZie8eM0y DmIDYaEhhPpEGpDRFjhCrITSFXqlcimXA/nGv9enfkTQ8RMk2wwKjqdcOXAcv/DrevLh FuMpxnV8yjxsuDJwUvmkatVvTIJ7ElzBttVRA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ah, nice to know I am not the only one with this problem.

I didn't actually test the XCP bandwidth limit either...I just assumed it worked because it didn't give an error, perhaps you are right about it silently doing nothing. I guess that is a feature request for the XCP devs then if it doesn't?

Do you know of any better documentation for the ovs-vsctl? Maybe there is an answer there but I can't seem to find a full syntax explanation :(

For the sFlow collector, it's one we wrote ourselves...not really too sure it's working right though because we seem to get multiple readings for the same interface. Also, not sure how to stop it being easily floodable (sFlow would be in a domU so if another domU floods it with these sFlow packets it would screw up the results I guess). Even if it works, not sure how useful it is...  it only tells us what's been used, we'd still need the rate limiter thing to work.

I guess the ideal solution for me would be to have a VM guest that logs all the traffic, does some calculations. I want to check if the VM is averaging too fast across the month to meet its monthly target, and if it is,slow it down until the target is met (using 95 percentile perhaps to ignore spikes of activity).

Really don't know how to achieve that with what's available :(