Re: [Xen-users] XCP bandwidth management

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP bandwidth management
From: Alexandre Bezroutchko <abb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 22:39:30 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 May 2011 03:21:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
1 - Limit the interface using the XenCenter GUI..
I believe in free version of XenServer bandwidth limiting does not work (it silently does nothing), I doubt this feature is enabled in XCP, have you tried?

I have patched /etc/xensource/scripts/vif script to (among other things) call ovs-vsctl to set ingress policy rate. I imagine commercial edition of XenServer do pretty much the same. Downside is that this approach only limits traffic from VM. If you are billed for traffic your VMs download from the Internet (like I am), this is not enough.

I've tried to play with 'tc' to limit traffic in another direction, but it never worked properly -- I want to cap the rate to 10Mbps, but it always gave me below 1Mbps whatever I do.

2 - Use sFlow in XCP to capture the data. Well this works for looking at how much bandwidth they are using, but I haven't found any existing tool that
will act on that data to do traffic shaping.
I have tried this path too, but didn't go very far. What sFlow collector are you using?

Best regards,
Alex Bezroutchko
http://www.gremwell.com/