Re: [Xen-users] Finally cracked the mystery of motherboards with Vt-d su

To: toth@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Finally cracked the mystery of motherboards with Vt-d support
From: Claudiu Curcă <alexstrasza2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 14:08:37 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 May 2011 04:13:34 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=B0oUmDRqtm4Wvui0EzXao88urOJPIzayGNIIoW4BXSg=; b=UbmSzVuXHtrebMo9lfwsOEshy6l7jh7yxtE7O6uRRrUrCEtnrqS3qKRgxvgY8lSLLZ v3qyW9cidbvZaw2sYw9sd5QQHLE+OBKEGEO9jJ7ZDWJpUyu+Sdqx1VwL4XPHysflMSrJ TtF8SY1E2wEQBCCuiX7y8ZZturUo0fmGB3M34=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/5/20 "Mgr. Šimon Tóth" <toth@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Well, desktop boards will always be inferior in terms of performance
>> and features, compared to server boards, so it's not something
>> surprising that only a handful of them support this tech. Desktop
>> boards have low-cost as target rather than features for the
>> enthusiastic power user. That's why I suggested it, because I'm using
>> it in my own desktop computer.
>
> The problem is that Xeons are totally useless on workstations. Core i7
> processors have ton more features and are much more suited for this
> environment.

Sorry, but that's just FUD... Recent Xeons and i7s are quite close in
terms of performance. The only major differences is that Xeons have 2
QPI buses in order to accomodate dual-processor setups and have ECC
support, while the only place where i7 really shines compared to Xeon
is TurboBoost, especially when activated on all 4 cores.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

However, I can understand that the price difference might be a
definitive factor in your choice... as ECC ram and the CPUs themselves
are quite pricey.