RE: [Xen-users] RFH: Windows2003+GPLPV packet-receive breaks aftersometi

To: "Philipp Hahn" <hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] RFH: Windows2003+GPLPV packet-receive breaks aftersometime (Xen 3.4.3 amd64)
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 21:58:50 +1100
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 03:00:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> XenNet <-- XenNet_PnPEventNotify
> XenNet     (BUFFER_TOO_SHORT 100 > 28)
> XenNet     (BUFFER_TOO_SHORT 152 > 0)
> XenNet     (BUFFER_TOO_SHORT 152 > 0)
> XenNet     cannot allocate packet
> XenNet     No free packets
> XenNet     Ran out of packets
>
> The last three messages are repeated multiple times.
>
> (I can send you the full log per private Email, if you want to take a
look.)

Probably not useful to send the full log, I think you've definitely
identified a leak. Strange that I've never seen it before... I have
several DomU's with several different versions of GPLPV with several
different combinations of checksum and large send offload enabled and
disabled, and some of them have been up for months.

Did you try with the offload features disabled?

> ./statistics/tx_dropped:1349522

The messages you are seeing above are in the rx path in DomU which means
the tx path in Dom0. Do your DomU's receive a large amount of traffic?
Most of my traffic would be in the other direction, and ->DomU traffic
would be mostly at WAN speeds, not LAN speeds... I'll have a look at the
code and see if I've missed something.

James