Re: [Xen-users] RFH: Windows2003+GPLPV packet-receive breaks aftersometi

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RFH: Windows2003+GPLPV packet-receive breaks aftersometime (Xen 3.4.3 amd64)
From: Philipp Hahn <hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:16:47 +0100
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 02:17:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello James, hello List,

thank so far for your support

Am Montag 28 Februar 2011 12:10:29 schrieb James Harper:
> Yes. If the problem occurs in a Linux PV domain (or even a Linux HVM
> domain with PV drivers) then it rules GPLPV out as a problem

The problem has only been observed on Windows VMs with GplPv, never on any
Linux VM or on Windows VMs without GplPv (as far as I know).
Not all Windows VMs show the described behavior, and it takes some to to
occur, normally corelated to the nightly network backup.
The problem seems to exists since a long time: we have reports of problems
going back as far as versions 0.9x of the GplPv driver.

> > > If you install the debug version of the driver then you'll get info
> > > written to /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-<domUname>.log which might show
> > > something useful
> > >
> > > Also, try turning off all the offload functions in the advanced
> > > properties of the network adapter under Linux.

Okay, the debug version (GPLPV 0.10.0.238) is now installed and it shows the
following messages:
# grep XenNet qemu-dm-xnts010.log
XenNet --> DriverEntry
XenNet     DriverObject = 8A787778, RegistryPath = 8A822000
XenNet     NdisGetVersion = 50002
XenNet     ndis_wrapper_handle = 00000000
XenNet     ndis_wrapper_handle = 8A814C00
XenNet     NdisMInitializeWrapper succeeded
XenNet     MajorNdisVersion = 5,  MinorNdisVersion = 1
XenNet     about to call NdisMRegisterMiniport
XenNet     called NdisMRegisterMiniport
XenNet <-- DriverEntry
XenNet --> XenNet_Init
XenNet     IRQL = 0
XenNet     nrl_length = 40
XenNet     irq_vector = 01c, irq_level = 01c, irq_mode =
NdisInterruptLevelSensitive
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_13
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_VECTORS
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_DEVICE_STATE - 8A9F8FB4
XenNet --> XenNet_D0Entry
XenNet --> XenNet_ConnectBackend
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_13
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_VECTORS
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_DEVICE_STATE - 8A9F8FB4
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_RING - tx-ring-ref = 8A6CD000
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_RING - rx-ring-ref = 8A6CC000
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_EVENT_CHANNEL - event-channel = 9
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_READ_STRING - mac = 00:16:3e:af:fa:a5
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_READ_STRING - feature-sg = 1
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_READ_STRING - feature-gso-tcpv4 = 1
XenNet     XEN_INIT_TYPE_17
XenNet <-- XenNet_ConnectBackend
XenNet --> XenNet_RxInit
XenNet <-- XenNet_RxInit
XenNet <-- XenNet_D0Entry
XenNet --> XenNet_PnPEventNotify
XenNet     NdisDevicePnPEventPowerProfileChanged
XenNet <-- XenNet_PnPEventNotify
XenNet     (BUFFER_TOO_SHORT 100 > 28)
XenNet     (BUFFER_TOO_SHORT 152 > 0)
XenNet     (BUFFER_TOO_SHORT 152 > 0)
XenNet     cannot allocate packet
XenNet     No free packets
XenNet     Ran out of packets

The last three messages are repeated multiple times.

(I can send you the full log per private Email, if you want to take a look.)

Since it might be related: /sys/class/net/vif205.0/ shows the following
statistics/, where I find the number of tx_dropped unsettling:
./statistics/rx_packets:242028431
./statistics/tx_packets:170064873
./statistics/rx_bytes:340462359805
./statistics/tx_bytes:19457838604
./statistics/rx_errors:0
./statistics/tx_errors:0
./statistics/rx_dropped:0
./statistics/tx_dropped:1349522
./statistics/multicast:0
./statistics/collisions:0
./statistics/rx_length_errors:0
./statistics/rx_over_errors:0
./statistics/rx_crc_errors:0
./statistics/rx_frame_errors:0
./statistics/rx_fifo_errors:0
./statistics/rx_missed_errors:0
./statistics/tx_aborted_errors:0
./statistics/tx_carrier_errors:0
./statistics/tx_fifo_errors:0
./statistics/tx_heartbeat_errors:0
./statistics/tx_window_errors:0
./statistics/rx_compressed:0
./statistics/tx_compressed:0

I also noticed the following message, which I can't put into any context:
# tail -f /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log
xc_map_foreign_range: ioctl failed: Bad address

Sincerely
Philipp Hahn
--
Philipp Hahn           Open Source Software Engineer      hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Univention GmbH        Linux for Your Business        fon: +49 421 22 232- 0