Re: [Xen-users] Home Xen hypervisor for master's project

To: Ryan Holt <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Home Xen hypervisor for master's project
From: Joseph Commisso <commissoje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:44:32 -0500
Cc: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>, "Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:46:14 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=K3oK8JtsPRGmRT7vjWwk4c3k20BzYe8FrVGdEAioKjU=; b=vE87G7VL+mDj50Dx4hQlpmvnIZB8Yzf+p6dv3CqATCeeV4XkvSK0q1MeQs2X284W1l agLJ7/5EqBFCvMQx5cZyKEd+J54W9SaBv9TYoLBA713tTZeOHnpxplCFx/fw6kdMpDnb 3g6muNqRuzoY3koxf8MXgxfscHDga7GXP13rs=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ryan,

Can you help me in identifying some of the tradeoffs of going with the
Xeon/Opteron vs the Phenom II/Core i5 or i7?

I know that server grade CPUs are constructed totally different than
general desktop CPUs, but I do not know why or how that would effect
my processing environment and my experience on this system.
I certainly would like to make the purchase right away, but it seems
that I have many questions as to what will work out best and the
answers are not easy for me to find. At least they aren't easy for me
to find!

Thank you for anything you may be able to help with,
Joe