Re: [Xen-users] redhat native vs. redhat on XCP

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Grant McWilliams
<grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As long as I use an LVM volume I get very very near real performance ie.
> mysqlbench comes in at about 99% of native.

without any real load on other DomUs, i guess

in my settings the biggest 'con' of virtualizing some loads is the
sharing of resources, not the hypervisor overhead.  Since it's easier
(and cheaper) to get hardware oversized on CPU and RAM than on IO
speed (specially on IOPS), that means that i have some database
servers that I can't virtualize on the near term.

Of course, most of this would be solved by dedicating spindles instead
of LVs to VMs;  maybe when (if?) i get most boxes with lots of 2.5"
bays, instead of the current 3.5" ones.  Not using LVM is a real
drawback, but it still seems to be better than dedicating whole boxes.

--
Javier