Re: [Xen-users] redhat native vs. redhat on XCP

To: Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] redhat native vs. redhat on XCP
From: Boris Quiroz <bquiroz.work@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:39:20 -0300
Cc: Henrik Andersson <henrik.j.andersson@xxxxxxxxx>, xenList <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:40:16 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=yQItERlaHHd/b+OPRIUjQKuXtmGBApUTDCwm7EHtvlw=; b=DIIQFaNsYFpCMeGRugjCUXNn1ozXt02zjjeJAFtjFQlOXysaR1mlTJO2fmC50ch/KB cs4RZRlnZV0xtXTUiO5tjfnUrD7Y3M690aZmsBcQ1gTcpTIrY1PGFh4fIwVr7oG3JUvb YPgXmTUWFRL7ERG1QyMZ7ibmOF2OoNBFMpRXY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/1/12 Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 01/12/2011 03:17 PM, Henrik Andersson wrote:
>> What makes you think that adding a virtualization layer to the picture
>> would increase the performance? Would be bit odd to have same operating
>> system perform better when it is run on a virtual machine.
>>
>> -Henrik Andersson
>
> I would suspect that OP is trying to asses whether the performance hit
> would be significant enough to outweigh the benefits of virtualization.
>
> --
> Digimer
> E-Mail: digimer@xxxxxxxxxxx
> AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com
> Node Assassin:  http://nodeassassin.org

Answering Henrik's question: We just want to see the results. If RHEL
native process, for example, 5000 TPS and RHEL+XCP process 4900, we
obviously will continue with a virtualized environment because the
difference is not significant to us.

Literature says that performance for guest is near-native, and that's
what I wanna test. And if somebody has already done this kind of test,
I could know what to expect.

Thanks.

--
@cereal_bars