Re: [Xen-users] Xen domains will not reboot or destroy as they should be

To: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen domains will not reboot or destroy as they should be
From: Jarkko Santala <jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:50:30 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:12:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Dec 14, 2010, at 12:25 , James Harper wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having a problem with Xen 3.2.1 on Debian 5.0.7 where the Xen
> domains will
>> not shutdown or reboot properly. For example, if I do a poweroff from
>> paravirtualized domain it just says System halted on the console but
> nothing
>> else happens, except the domain status becomes "s". Nothing gets
> written into
>> xend.log. I have set on_poweroff = 'destroy' properly, but it seem to
> have no
>> effect. Also xm list --long shows the correct options in use. Same
> thing
>> happens if I do a reboot. Just get status "s" and no reboot. Another
> box
>> installed the same way with same versions seems to work perfectly. Any
> ideas?
>>

> Do you specify dom0-cpus=1 in your xen config? If so, it causes a
> problem that causes events to be missed and things left hanging around
> which sounds similar to what you are seeing. I'm not sure about the
> version but this sounds very familiar to a bug I encountered once, and
> spent ages tracking down.
>
> I highly recommend running a newer version of Xen where this bug is
> fixed, but otherwise just don't specify dom0-cpus=1.

That is indeed true! I had it enabled and I already commented it out, thinking
that it might be causing problems (and it didn't even work - xentop still
showed dom0 using all 8 logical cores), but I haven't rebooted yet, so I didn't
know that it might solve this issue. Thanks!

I don't know if the same setting is the reason for another bug I ran into - I
tried running some other xm commands instead of destroy on one of these domains
in "s" limbo and what happened was that it started spawning as many copies of
that domU as it could fit into memory - killing them would spawn another one in
the freed memory. The situation finally resolved itself after I had ran xm
destroy in a loop, but I was unable to start any new domUs after that until I
rebooted. Not sure which xm command set it off in the first place.

        -jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake&portalify,com>   http://www.portalify.com
System Administrator