RE: [Xen-users] Xen domains will not reboot or destroy as they should be

To: "Jarkko Santala" <jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen domains will not reboot or destroy as they should be
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:25:43 +1100
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 02:27:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a problem with Xen 3.2.1 on Debian 5.0.7 where the Xen
domains will
> not shutdown or reboot properly. For example, if I do a poweroff from
> paravirtualized domain it just says System halted on the console but
nothing
> else happens, except the domain status becomes "s". Nothing gets
written into
> xend.log. I have set on_poweroff = 'destroy' properly, but it seem to
have no
> effect. Also xm list --long shows the correct options in use. Same
thing
> happens if I do a reboot. Just get status "s" and no reboot. Another
box
> installed the same way with same versions seems to work perfectly. Any
ideas?

Do you specify dom0-cpus=1 in your xen config? If so, it causes a
problem that causes events to be missed and things left hanging around
which sounds similar to what you are seeing. I'm not sure about the
version but this sounds very familiar to a bug I encountered once, and
spent ages tracking down.

I highly recommend running a newer version of Xen where this bug is
fixed, but otherwise just don't specify dom0-cpus=1.

James