RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV

To: "Ryan Holt" <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:38:55 +1100
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:40:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying various attempts at installing the latest GPLPV
drivers
> (gplpv_Vista2008x64_0.11.0.238.msi

<http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads/gplpv_Vista2008x64_0.11.0.238.msi>
) on
> a fresh Server 2008R2 VM. Currently using Xen 4.0.1 with dom0 at
2.6.32-24. VM
> configuration is here:
>

> http://paste.pocoo.org/show/282420/
>
> I've found that the tap:aio disk configuration doesn't play well with
the
> vbd/scsi drivers, that is, I get blue screens after the reboot.
Couldn't
> finagle that to work. Just to test, I installed a VM with
> phy:/path/to/LVM/volume and the vbd driver installed fine / no
bluescreens. I
> got better performance / VM was snappier with the tap:aio
configuration
> though.

I'm not sure that tap:aio offers any performance benefits for block
devices (as opposed to files) once you have PV drivers installed. I have
never got it working under GPLPV either though (or working at all in
fact).

Can you quantify your 'snappier' comment with some performance tests?
Even if it's just copying some large files around.

> I still got pretty poor performance on the networking side, however,
so I was
> trying to install the GPLPV drivers in order to hopefully improve my
network
> performance. I selected to install all the drivers with the exception
of the
> vbd and scsi drivers. VM boots fine and inside of Network Connections
I now
> have the XEN Network Adapter instead of the e1000 that I originally
had.
> However, it is disconnected. I followed the instructions listed here
> configure the bootloader and it appears that it is setup right:

Is it only disconnected when you don't install vbd or was it
disconnected then too? It should only be in a disconnected state on
first install until reboot (2 reboots required for Vista/2008).

James