Re: [Xen-users] help a newbie please

To: Jonathan Lettvin <jlettvin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] help a newbie please
From: Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 23:05:08 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:06:42 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:received:reply-to :in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc :content-type; bh=Zn0wOWnZMFpTrj0DCY5r37J6itAFdzqkc84qUoYz7Z0=; b=r9ivX0cYyi78wCjhk9yjun7XUECYAohWclRTYVRIYuI2t37RWEuP7RK8bmR/p8DaVk NmNRdy1PYTUfb9wyssS2tiziYjEYO3dla/CHGhVbozf8+Xpzpx0xZp5eZTW6aY2Pcn4y iwxIO5PECSHTugIAQJF1skThOj3StOFVf504A=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Jonathan Lettvin <jlettvin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list readers,
>
> I am an experienced developer with only nominal configuration talent.
> These days, mostly I use ubuntu linux, but have used Debian, WhiteBox,
> CentOS, RH, Fedora.
>
> I have been using Sun VirtualBox to very great effect and hope for better
> performance
> by installing and using xen.
> I also intend to use Dom0 exclusively as a host, and not install any other
> packages.
> Instead, I expect to do all my development and package downloads onto guest
> machines.
>
> I wish to do a fresh install of a xen linux onto a brand new 1TB disk on my
> IBM Thinkpad T61 laptop.
> My intention is to generate file-based virtual machines that I can copy to
> make new instances.
> I am expecting to use HVM rather than paravirtualization and files instead
> of logical volumes.
>
> So far, I have tried it three times, once with Debian Lenny, and twice with
> ubuntu Maverick Meerkat.
> Every time I encounter show-stopper problems during compiles or xend crash
> on execution.
> I do not know if I have identified a solid recipe to follow, or whether my
> choices are bad.
>
> What I request is start to finish step by step instructions (preferably onto
> ubuntu or Debian).
> I am willing to back off on the Dom0 OS to an earlier ubuntu or Debian.
> All I want is to generate a solid baseline xen system that is as reliable
> and simple as possible.
>
> I will start from scratch with a clean disk, if I can only get instructions
> that lead to a working host.
>
> Please help by providing a single complete clean instruction list to achieve
> this.

These links might help.

http://wiki.debian.org/Xen
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems

Post questions if you get stuck on anything. ##xen on freenode is also
a place to ask questions.

Hope that helps.

Todd

--