RE: [Xen-users] XCP, technology question

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XCP, technology question
From: <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:30:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:31:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Some of the VMware tools are nice, but I don't think it is accurate for
somebody to say VMware has a 5 year lead on Xen or Hyper-V at the
virtualization level.

The advantages that most VMware fanboys tout are things like hybrid clouds
and RAM overcommitting.  Those are features that I personally have no
interest in.  RAM overcommitting us the surest way to get poor performance.
Instead of buying VMware licenses, I argue that the money is better spent on
buying more RAM.

If the Xen crowd wants to close the gap on VMware, it will need to be done
through the tools.  For example, a build of XenCenter should be released
that works with XCP.  XCP is terrific for us who write our own cloud
management applications, but everybody else really needs really user
friendly tools to work with.

A lot of people are interested in XCP but refuse to use it because XenCenter
does not work with it.  Not releasing a build of XenCenter that works with
XCP is merely disadvantaging the XCP community and encouraging people to
look at VMware and KVM.