Re: [Xen-users] any opinions on debian vs. opensuse for Xen?

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] any opinions on debian vs. opensuse for Xen?
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:59:31 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:00:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sam,

Thanks for the details!  And...

Sam wrote:
I am running on a dual 1.6ghz cpu intel atom motherboard so of course this is less than ideal. The atom cpu, even though 2 core, has hyper threading which makes dom0 think it has 4 cpus so you have to do some testing to figure out which cpu's are actually on a separate core. dom0 by default has access to all cores. I only have 2 domU's. One has:
I'm not sure if my system has hyperthreading or not - I guess I'm going to have to figure that out first.

Do you know if there's a way to pin dom0 to a specific core - I think I'm seeing kernel panics caused by dom0 (SMP errors that show up every once in a while). I'm running a high-availability configuration running Xen over DRBD over software RAID10 - and I expect panics occur when all the bits line up just right before swapping into/out of dom0 - but I don't have the instrumentation to drill down that far.
I would also go with debian squeeze unless you are having trouble with the debian installer. I normally use the net install disk http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst and then use aptitude to install the rest of my packages. I don't ever use the preset tasks to install any thing.
I think I might just try going to Squeeze. As I read the bug reports, the ones that seem to reference the kernal panics I'm seeing are shown as closed in Squeeze.

Are you running Xen 3 or 4?

Thanks,

Miles