Re: [Xen-users] any opinions on debian vs. opensuse for Xen?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] any opinions on debian vs. opensuse for Xen?
From: Sam <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:53:02 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:54:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/16/2010 01:27 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been getting just a little fed up with the state of Xen on Debian
Lenny - there are a couple of known bugs that lead to periodic kernel
panics - but fixes haven't made it into the Lenny distribution. I'm sort
of waiting to see how things shake out with Debian Squeeze, when it
becomes stable, but...

I've been noticing that Suse (both the enterprise and OpenSuse versions)
seem to stress support for Xen, as well as for BTRFS (which I've been
keeping my eyes on).

So... I'm wondering if anybody has any opinions, based on direct,
hands-on experience on Debian vs. OpenSuse as a base for a configuration
consisting of 2 production machines configured for high-availability
failover of Xen VMs, using DRBD and Pacemaker?

Thanks much,

Miles Fidelman

I have been using lenny for over a year now. I had some lockups at first but I never could tell if it was just on vm that was crashing and bringing the whole setup down. Since I have done cpu pinning and better ram management, I haven't had any problems. I have been using squeeze as a desktop for over a year now with no problems. The only problems right now in squeeze will probably be related to installer quirks. I would give it a try. I am going to upgrade my set up probably in Dec. or so.

Sam