Re: [Xen-users] p2v wlh windows?

To: chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] p2v wlh windows?
From: Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:00:03 -0400
Cc: Xen-Users List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:01:49 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:received:reply-to :in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc :content-type; bh=6Byo2FGRFYewvNAzz4mHNpnXEPI31qDBNWhpcpz1PAE=; b=hkbSlPJdcsPmI4DXjIKNloGqPhlcH0ipZKoIq7JOU96trvZnbe7w++Pk65VcDJflIf H8VQBMvXTTFuo0csrruJOd2jWkbNg08VFeSRLFVXx9MI4To2CBynnKZvH7WKoPFbSyO4 g3PU6GPrTjgqF+aA8jnf2IRNPqnYQE9vEmjb4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Chris,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM, chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been using Xen quite a bit the last 3 years and everything has
> been going very well. I usually create my vm's from scratch but
> occasionally for certain special situations I will p2v. I have run
> into a brick wall with p2v of wlh editions of windows (vista,server
> 2008, etc). Since these editions of windows have imaged based
> installs, they do not have the in place upgrade "repair" function that
> is in many earlier versions of windows. Has anyone been successful
> p2v'ing these versions of windows? I've tried various things from the
> recovery console, rebuild bcd, fix boot record, etc. I fully
> understand that the windows hal is what causes the bluescreen and
> causes it not to boot, and I've read some people being able to replace
> the hal dll's but it seems like there has got to be a better way?
>
> Any input would be appreciated.

Adding the IDE settings to the registry can help:

These links should help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us
http://www.proxmox.com/cms_proxmox/cms/upload/misc/mergeide.reg

Thanks,