[Xen-users] domU networking problem

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] domU networking problem
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:31:09 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:32:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Folks,

I have a DomU that was working just fine, but now it seems unable to obtain a network address.

On boot, I'm getting a series of DHCPDISCOVER messages in the log, followed by "No DHCPOFFERS received."

But... the router/dhcpserver seems to be working (other machines on the same LAN are picking up addresses, and just for good measure I rebooted the router). <NEW DOMU>

The one change I made to the DomU was installing xdm, but after doing so networking continued to work, and I was able to do what I intended (ssh -X <domU's IP> from the Dom0, then run apps in the Dom0's window manager). Networking was still working.

But now, after a reboot, the DomU no longer seems to be able to reach the DHCP server.

Any suggestions on what might be going on, or how to diagnose things? I'm not completely clear on all the various steps a DHCPDISCOVER message goes through - as it flows through all the virtual networking wiring - particularly before an IP address has been assigned and everything is at the virtual ethernet level.

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman