Re: [Xen-users] OES2

To: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] OES2
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:06:03 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:07:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 06 August 2010 20:33:04 Nick Couchman wrote:
> > Well both really. For starters my Hypervisors are SLES10SP3 but won't
> > virtualize SLES10SP3 in HVM mode. I get I/O problems and hence kernel
> > panics.
> > No problems with SLES10SP2.
> >
> > And as far as OES2 is concerned: this is a different animal though than
> > SLES10, esepecially since I also us Novell Clustering Services, requiring
> > special kernel modules etc. The afore mentionned problems could inspire
> > me to
> > go the PVM road (which would benefit performance as well of course), but
> > not
> >
> > sure if everything will keep on working (I'm looking to P2V an existing
> > OES2
> >
> > cluster).
> >
> > thx,
> >
> > B.
>
> You definitely should go the paravirtualized route in OES2.  I don't know
>  of any services that require OES2 to run in HVM mode - in fact, I'm sure
>  Novell has designed it specifically to operate in PV mode.
>
> -Nick

OK, I've read about some nasty things regarding NSS on PVM but that was with
local drives. Since we use iSCSI that might be less of an issue. I'll just
fire up a PVM guest, rsync everything to it while the services are dead and
we'll see what happens.

cheers,

B.