Re: [Xen-users] Re: blktap2 does not work

2010/6/24 Niccolò Belli <darkbasic4@xxxxxxxxx>

> Il 24 giugno 2010 03.10, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> > Let me get this straight. You do NOT load blktap module?
> > That module is needed for blktap2 to work on pv_ops kernel.
>
> I did not load it to check if tap2:tapdisk:aio and tap:tapdisk:aio
> were the same or not.
> This ( http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/blktap2 ) wiki page tells I
> have to use tap:tapdisk:aio in order to use blktap2 but it is wrong!

It's incomplete, perhaps.
At least both tap:tapdisk:aio and tap:aio works on novell's
kernel-xen. I'm not sure about newer pv_ops kernel though, so if you
find something that needs to be chaned, you should submit changes to
the Wiki.

> > Are you using ext4 by any chance? I don't know if Xen 4.0.0's
> > pygrub/pv-grub supports it yet.
>
> No, it doesn't. I'm using ext3 and I cannot install the bootloader, so
> HVM becomes useless and I have to switch to PV (which is what I will
> use for linux, but now I'm just testing). Is there any chance to
> install the bootloader and so use HVM?

That's new. I never had that problem.
What happens if you just use tap:aio AND load the blktap module? It
should use blktap2 anyway.

> > That part should be easy
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems#head-01b189c753b6fef5ea1dc8414a6624feb8d89a22
>
> Uhm.. I'm pretty sure I never did it with debian stable, maybe
> debootstrap did it for me?

Is this a HVM install converted to PV? If yes, that might explain it,
as HVM doesn't know anything about hvc0.

--
Fajar