RE: [Xen-users] Openvswitch

To: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Openvswitch
From: "Jonathan Tripathy" <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:39:39 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 May 2010 05:40:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your very helpful email.

What I want to set up, is a 3 interface system: WAN, LAN and DMZ.

So far, the lauout I'm thinking is similar to this:

In a nutshell, I will probably create a firewall in a DomU, and delegate a PCI physical NIC to it (which will be used for the firewall's WAN interfae). Then create 2 "bridges" (one for "LAN" interface, and one for "DMZ" interface) and assign a vif from each bridge to the firewall DomU. Neither bridges will have a physical NIC attached to it. Of course, there will be other DomUs connected to the respective bridge. The 2nd physical NIC of the server will be delegated to a DomU machine in the "LAN" subnet. This will be an LTSP Terminal Server, and will be connected to a physical switch for all my thin clients to connect to.

I intend to use pfsense (Which is BSD based, which I think works with HVM mode) in the DomU, instead of shorewall (as described in that link).

For the actual bridges, I will probably follow the following link so make it more "Layer 3 switch like":

I will probably need a 3rd NIC to access as a management interface. I really do need some help secureing the Dom0.

Think this is safe? I really do need it to be very secure, due to PCI (credit card details) compliance

Thanks

Jonny