Re: [Xen-users] Converting AND shrinking domU

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Converting AND shrinking domU
From: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:45:26 -0400
Cc: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:46:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 13:09 -0600, Nick Couchman wrote:
> > I'm currently running xen 3.4 on sles11. I currently use ocfs2, but I'm
> > going to move away from it because of issues we've been having. Instead,
> > we'll be assigning LUNs from our san to the xen servers and domU's will
> > essentially have their own disk. This puts a lot more space requirements
> > in play. With that in mind, I want to shrink a lot of our domUs.
> >

> Two questions:
> 1) What issues are you having with OCFS2?
> 2) Does your SAN support "thin provisioning?"
> 3) Why is switching from OCFS2 to raw disks per domU taking up any
> more space?  OCFS2 does not allow for "sparse" disks, which means you
> should see similar disk requirements between OCFS2 and "thick
> provisioning" on your SAN.
>
> -Nick
>

> --------
> This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
> of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
> not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
> please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
> Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
> prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using
> this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received
> this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
> e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in
> this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither
> endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.

OCFS2 does not allow sparse disks? I've never heard of that. I have had
tickets open with novell and they have never said it's not supported.
I've emailed this list saying we're using ocfs2 and sparse files and
nobody has raised any flags before (which could be understandable being
a mailing list).

We are currently doing sparse files on ocfs2. It was going fine for
about a year, then we started having problems with ocfs2 becoming
corrupted.

I don't know if the SAN supported thin provisioning, but I'm also not
sure what you mean. Can you elaborate a little?

Thanks,
James