Re: [Xen-users] Converting AND shrinking domU

James Pifer wrote:

sparse file based linux(sles) domU --> shrink --> block device based linux(sles) domU

Any suggestions?

As long as you can mount the sparse file on Dom0 then it's trivial - just mount the source and destination volumes, and copy the files across. My preferred method is rsync, but there are plenty of options.

For rsync, the syntax would be "rsync -avH --numeric-ids /source/ /dest/"

You can convert mountpoints as well this way, eg if you previously had /home as a separate volume and want to combine it with /, then just mount all the volumes are required before doing the copy. Eg, mount the source / on /source, and the source /home on /source/home.

If you can't mount the source volume(s) on Dom0, then add the destination volume to DomU and copy the files there.

In either case, you are simply sizing the new volumes as you make them and putting the file on later.

--
Simon Hobson