RE: [Xen-users] VLAN in a Pool

To: "Ciprian Dorin, Craciun" <ciprian.craciun@xxxxxxxxx>, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] VLAN in a Pool
From: Faraz Khan <Faraz.Khan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:01:52 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:05:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I created a Network in XenCenter at the pool level.  The type I selected was
"External Network".  I gave it a VLAN id of 3.  Then I attached this new
network to my guest VMs.  Inside the guests I gave each NIC an IP address such
as 10.0.1.x/255.255.0.0.  Then from one VM I pinged 10.0.1.x.  The ping get a
response only if the two VMs are running on the same Xen Host.  If they are
running on separate hosts but in the same pool and physically connected to a
switch then the ping does not get any response.

In a sense Windows XP are aware of the VLAN because I gave them a proper IP
address within the correct range, e.g. 10.0.1.5 and 10.0.1.6 with a subnet mask
of 255.255.0.0.  But the real purpose of creating a VLAN is that if a 3rd
Windows XP had an IP of 10.0.1.7 it should not be able to ping to the other
two, because they are in a logically seperated vlan.