[Xen-users] Re: Xen and it's future with linux?

On 2010-03-14, Saúl Ibarra <saghul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> As of yesterday I successfully setup debian squeeze/sid using a
>> 2.6.31.12 kernel from the git repo, setup a couple linux guests and
>> two win7 boxes, now im working on getting some xp boxes working and
>> installing the gplpv drivers. Im on 3.4.2 xen-stable and the
>> xen/master (2.6.31.12) linux dom0 kernel.
>>

> How did you build that 2.6.31.12 kernel with support for dom0? Did you
> use the patches from
> http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/downloads/list ?
>
> I just gave it a try but patches won't apply cleanly:
>
> saghul@hal:~/tmp/xen/linux-2.6.31.12$ for p in ../xenpatch/*; do echo
> $p; patch -p1 -s < $p --dry-run; done
>
> Am I missing something?

You can't test it that way. --dry-run is all fine and dandy for seeing
if a single patch will apply cleanly, but with a patch series it will
break things. It means no changes are applied, but often some patches
depend on earlier ones having been successfully applied.  The only way
to actually test the patch series is to do the patching, and see if
anything fails (which it won't, in this case.)

--
Having to infer what Unix is solely from a copy of the GNU Manifesto is
not really an exercise you want to undertake.